- Rameau: Six Concerts en sextuor by Jean-Philippe Rameau (Composer), Les Talens Lyriques; Christophe Rousset (Performer)
- Beethoven: Piano Sonatas 26, 27 & 29 by Ludwig van Beethoven (Composer), Solomon (Solomon Cutner) (Performer)
If the "Hammerklavier" Sonata (No. 29), perhaps the most profound work ever written for the piano, were not on this disc, one would dwell on the singular charms of the rarely heard, two-movement Sonata No. 27 or the astonishing rightness of Solomon's interpretation of the Sonata No. 26, "Les Adieux." But the "Hammerklavier" is the touchstone of any Beethoven sonata cycle, and it's the rock upon which most pianists founder.
Solomon meets its...
- Kremerland by Alexander Bakshi; Leonid Chizhik; Sergei Dreznin; Giya Kancheli; Georgs Pelecis; Alexander Vustin (Composer), Marta Sudraba; Danelius Rubinas; KREMERata BALTICA; Andrei Pushkarev; Leonid Chizhik (Performer)
- Cage: A Cage of Saxophones, Vol. 1 by John Cage (Composer), Ulrich Krieger; Raymond Kaczynski; Mario Bertoncini; Tobias Rger (Performer)
- Bartk: 44 Duos for Two Violins; String Quartets 1 & 2 by Bela Bartok (Composer), Alberto Lysy; Sandor Vgh (Performer)
- Violin Duos by Henryk Gorecki; Piotr Moss; Michal Spisak; Alexandre Tansman (Composer), Tomasz Tomaszewski (Performer)
- Violent Viola by Esther Apituley; Johann Sebastian Bach (Composer), Amsterdam Viola Quartet; Ri Tanaka; Esther Apituley (Performer)
The viola works on this CD span centuries, from Bach to Hindemith. They all stress the individual, often melancholic sound of the instrument. Currently only a few violists are performing solo works for the instrument, and prominent among them is Esther Apituley, who studied in Amsterdam and Berlin, and today is a professor in Amsterdam.
She is one of the few artists specializing in viola solo works but has also performed with the National...
- W.A. Mozart: Nachtmusik [Book & CD] by Thomas Attwood; Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), English Concert; Christian Rutherford; Roger Montgomery (Performer)
- Rubinstein Collection, Vol. 66 by Antonin Dvorak; Robert Schumann (Composer), Artur Rubinstein (Performer)
- The Haydn Project by Bela Bartok; Ludwig van Beethoven; Antonin Dvorak; (Composer)
To celebrate its 25th anniversary, the Emerson Quartet has made its first all-Haydn recording, featuring seven of his most famous quartets on two CDs. Presented chronologically, the program is arranged for utmost contrast of tonality, atmosphere, and character. The prevailing mood is joyous, as befits the occasion, though three quartets are in minor keys. The opening work, Op. 20, No. 5, is dark, brooding, and achingly beautiful. Its inner...
- Schubert: Trout Quintet / Moments Musicaux by Franz Schubert (Composer), Karoly Botvay; Kornl Zemplni; Malcolm Frager; Geza Nemeth; Peter Komlos (Performer)
- Wind Chamber Music of Theodor Blumer by Theodor Blumer (Composer), Shirley Irek; Moran Woodwind Quintet (Performer)
- Melange de Tangos, Fantaisies... by Francois Borne; Astor Piazzolla; Peter Tanner; Georg Philipp Telemann (Composer)
- Debussy: Piano Music, Vol. 4 by Claude Debussy (Composer), Noriko Ogawa (Performer)
- Juon, Martin, Schnyder: Klaviertrios by Paul Juon; Frank Martin; Daniel Schnyder (Composer), Schweizer Klaviertrio (Performer)
- Alkan: Piano Music, Volume 1: 12 Etudes, Op. 35 by Charles-Valentin Alkan (Composer), Bernard Ringeissen (Performer)
Bernard Ringeissen has the big technique and stylistic empathy to deliver outstanding performances of Alkan's weird and wonderful piano music. His well-received Alkan series on Marco Polo is now being reissued on Naxos, whose budget price makes it an even more desirable acquisition. Ringeissen plays with the energy necessary to make the music come alive.
He's no Marc-Andr Hamelin, whose Alkan recordings are unchallenged, as we can hear in Le...
- Schubert: Ave Maria; Death and the Maiden; Ballet Music from Rosamunde by Franz Schubert (Composer), London Symphony Orchestra (Performer)
- Shostakovich: String Quartets 1-13
- D'Amore by Attilio Ariosti; Klaus Huber; Tobias Hume; Garth Knox; Marin Marais; Roland Moser; Irish Traditional (Composer), Anges Vesterman (Performer)
- Jacqueline du Pr - The Concerto Collection
- Guitar Music of Argentina by Hector Ayala; Juan Falu; Carlos Guastavino; Walter Heinze; Maximo Diego Pujol; Narciso Saul (Composer), Vctor Villadangos (Performer)
This recording brings together pieces writen for the guitar by some of the most eminent contemporary composers of Argentina. These include Maximo Pujol, who was born in Buenos Aires in 1957. He has obtained numerous first prizes in composition contests at home and abroad. The guitar works of Maximo Diego Pujol have been performed and recorded throughout the world by artists of the highest caliber. Both Narciso Saul and Juan Falu are active...
- Bach: Six Partitas, BWV 825-830 (Edition Bachakademie Vol 115) /Pinnock (harpsichord) by Johann Sebastian Bach (Composer), Trevor Pinnock (Performer)
Bach wrote his keyboard partitas when his career as a church musician had gone wrong. They became the foundation for a massive composite work in which he explored every aspect of the 18th-century precursor to the piano. But how--and on what--should they be played today? The jury is out, and will stay out forever.
That's why it's such a pleasure to compare approaches, and why there's no such thing as a "best buy." Go back to 1952, courtesy of...
- Bruckner: String Quintet F major/String Quartet C minor
- Peter Maxwell Davies: Naxos Quartets Nos. 7 and 8 by Peter Maxwell Davies (Composer)
These are the premiere performances of Peter Maxwell Davies' quartets Nos. 7 and 8, commissioned by Naxos. The Seventh is in seven slow movements, and, the composer tells us, was inspired by several churches in Rome designed by the Baroque architect Borromini in the 17th century. Davies became fascinated with these buildings in the 1950s; he admired and was puzzled by Borromini's use of space and light and his combination of tradition and...
- Schubert: Quintet, Op.163 by Franz Schubert; Atar Arad (Performer)
- Ladislav Kubk: Kammermusik by Ladislav Kubik (Composer), Emma Kovarnova; Josef Horak; Panocha Quartet; Trio Rivnius; Jiri Valek; Martin Myslivecek; Dagmar Peckova; Prague Collegium Musicum; Prague Symphony Orchestra; Oldrich Satava (Performer)
- Corelli: Sonata da Camera, Op. 2 by Arcangelo Corelli (Composer), Il Ruggiero (Performer)
- Jean-Marie Leclair: Complete Flute Chamber Music by Jean-Marie (i) Leclair (Composer), Laura Blustein; Christopher Krueger; Fenwick Smith; John Gibbons (Performer)
- Mozart: String Quartets (Complete), Vol. 2 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), Eder Quartet (Performer)
- Hindemith: Sancta Susanna by Paul Hindemith (Composer), Ameral Gunson; Della Jones; BBC Philharmonic Orchestra; Susan Bullock (Performer)
- Shostakovich: String Quartets Nos. 7-9 by Dmitry Shostakovich (Composer)
- Britten: Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings; Nocturne; Phaedra by Benjamin Britten (Composer), Stephen Reay; Robert Plane; David Haslam (Performer)
- Haydn: The Paris Symphonies Nos. 82-87 by Franz Joseph Haydn (Composer), Concentus Musicus Wien (Performer)
Haydn's large-scale "Paris" Symphonies have had many fine performances on CD, both singly and in sets, including Leonard Bernstein's vigorous version for Sony. But Harnoncourt's is as good as any and better, far better, than virtually all the competition.
His interpretations dance with energy and pointed rhythms, teem with details often left unheard elsewhere, and display tempos that always seem inevitable and right. He exploits Haydn's humor...
- Sonatas by Beethoven, Hindemith and Heiden by Ludwig van Beethoven; Eugene Bozza; Gabriel Faure; Alexander Glazunov; Reinhold Gliere; Bernhard Heiden; Paul Hindemith; Heinrich Kaspar Schmid; Franz Strauss (Composer), John Cerminaro; Zita Carno (Performer)
- The Very Best of Grieg by Edvard Grieg (Composer)
- Brouwer: Guitar Music, Vol. 2
- Rachmaninov: Etudes-Tableaux, Op. 33 & 39; Vladimir Ovchinnikov
- Korngold: String Quartets 1 & 2 by Erich Wolfgang Korngold (Composer)
- Mozart, Telemann, Reicha, J. C. Bach: Chamber Works by Johann Christian Bach; Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Antoine Reicha; Georg Philipp Telemann (Composer), Mstislav Rostropovich; Jean-Pierre Rampal; Matthias Spaeter; Isaac Stern (Performer)
- Juilliard String Quartet performs Berg, Carter & Schumann by Alban Berg; Elliott Carter; William Schuman (Composer)
- The Famous Oistrakh Trio by Sergey Rachmaninov; Maurice Ravel (Composer), Oistrakh Trio (Performer)
- Reger: Chamber Music, Vol.1 by Max Reger (Composer), Armin Fromm; Mannheimer Streichquartett; Niklas Schwarz; Andreas Krecher; Claudia Hohorst (Performer)
- The Italian Connection by Arcangelo Corelli; Francesco Geminiani; Carlo Ambrogio Lonati; Nicola Matteis; Francesco Maria Veracini; Antonio Vivaldi (Composer), Bell'Arte Antiqua (Performer)
- Gould Meets Menuhin by Johann Sebastian Bach; Ludwig van Beethoven; Arnold Schoenberg (Composer), Glenn Gould; Yehudi Menuhin (Performer)
- Mozart: Music for Winds by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), Octophoros (Performer)
- Reger: Chamber Music, Vol. 5 by Max Reger (Composer), Armin Fromm; Mannheimer Streichquartett; Claudius Tanski; Niklas Schwarz; Andreas Krecher; Claudia Hohorst (Performer)
- Paganini: Sonatas for Violin and Guitar by Niccolo Paganini (Composer), Sonja Prunnbauer; Rainer Kussmaul (Performer)
- Rachmaninoff: Complete Songs by Sergey Rachmaninov (Composer), Sergei Leiferkus; Maria Popescu; Howard Shelley; Joan Rodgers; Alexandre Naoumenko (Performer)
- Dvork: Piano Trios Op. 21 & Op. 90 "Dumky" by Antonin Dvorak (Composer), Marcus Trefny; Vienna Piano Trio; Stefan Mendl; Wolfgang Redik (Performer)
- Nino Rota: Chamber Music by Nino Rota (Composer)
- Matt Haimovitz - Mozart The Mason by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), Matt Haimovitz; Douglas McNabney; Jonathan Crow (Performer)
- The Essential Giuliani, Vol. 1 by Mauro Giuliani (Composer), William Skeen; Richard Savino; Portland Baroque Orchestra; Jennifer Ellis; Monica Huggett (Performer)
- Terry Riley: Cantos Desiertos by Robert Beaser; Lowell Liebermann; Terry Riley; Peter Schickele; Joan Tower (Composer), Alexandra Hawley; Jeffrey McFadden (Performer)
- Shostakovich: Piano Quintet; 4 Waltzes; Piano Trio No. 2 by Dmitry Shostakovich (Composer), Christopher van Kampen; Michael Collins [clarinet]; Nash Ensemble; Philippa Davies; Ian Brown; Marcia Crayford (Performer)
- Haydn: Die grten Werke by Franz Joseph Haydn (Composer), Berlin Chamber Orchestra; Brahms-Trio; Berliner Staatskapelle; Dresden Philharmonic Orchestra; Dresden Staatskapelle; Willi Krug (Performer)
- Scarlatti: Keyboard Sonatas by Domenico Scarlatti (Composer), Andras Schiff (Performer)
- Schumann: Complete Chamber Music [Box Set] by Robert Schumann (Composer), Marek Jerie; Alberni String Quartet; Israel Piano Trio; Nash Ensemble; Beata Cywinska; Ivan Klansky; Serouj Kradjian; Thomas Rajna; Jolanta Bartosiak; Ara Malikian (Performer)
- Corghi: Divara - Wasser und Blut by Azio Corghi (Composer), Mnchner Philharmoniker Orchester und Chor; Barbara Trottmann; Christopher Krieg; David Midboe; Eva Lillian Thingboe; Gabriele Wunderer; Gunter Kiefer; Hanslutz Hildmann; Heinz Fitz (Performer)
- Mozart: Wind Serenades by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), Marieke Stordiau; Ronald Karten; Els Vreugdenhil; Harmen DeBoer; Bart Schneemann; Netherlands Wind Ensemble; Dick Verhoef; Paul Van Zelm; Justine Gerretsen (Performer)
- Mozart: The Piano Sonatas by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), Andras Schiff (Performer)
- Sergey Taneyev: Complete Quintets by Sergey Taneyev (Composer), Beynus Morozov; Tamara Fidler; Yuri Kramarov (Performer)
- Baroque Guitar Quartets : The English Guitar Quartet by Johann Sebastian Bach; Arcangelo Corelli; George Frideric Handel; Henry Purcell; Antonio Vivaldi (Composer), The English Guitar Quartet (Performer)
- Tchaikovsky, Arensky: Trios by Tchaikovsky; Arensky (Composer)
- Piano Trios by Ravel & Chausson by Ernest Chausson; Maurice Ravel (Composer), Trio Wanderer (Performer)
- Kaija Saariaho: Complete Cello Works by Kaija Saariaho (Composer), Alexis Descharmes; Nicolas Baldeyrou; Jrmie Fvre (Performer)
- Chopin: Piano Concertos nos. 1 & 2 / Dutoit, Argerich
Martha Argerich is one of our supreme pianists, and this disc shows her almost at her best. Every phrase is beautifully considered and executed, but there is still plenty of spontaneity in her playing. Alas for the flowers of youth. A couple of decades ago, Argerich played this music (on two separate Deutsche Grammophon recordings) with even more fervor and spontaneity, and the accompaniments were more incisive and more clearly recorded than...
- Beethoven: Chamber Music for Winds (box Set) by Ludwig van Beethoven (Composer), Karl-Otto Hartmann; Dieter Klcker; Mathias Grnewald; Consortium Classicum; Christoph Hartmann; Gernot Schmalfuss (Performer)
- Nikolai Myaskovsky: Complete String Quartets, Vol. 3 - Nos. 7 & 8 by Nikolay Myaskovsky (Composer)
- Clarinet Historical Recordings, Vol.2 by Henry Rowley Bishop; Armand Bournonville (Composer), Benny Goodman; Charles Draper; Frederick Thurston (Performer)
- Bartk: Sonata for Two Pianos & Percussion/Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Joseph Haydn for 2 Pianos, Op. 56b by Bela Bartok; Johannes Brahms (Composer), David Corkhill; Evelyn Glennie; Georg Solti; Murray Perahia (Performer)
- Ernest Chausson: Chamber Music by Ernest Chausson (Composer), Alexander Dmitriev; Dalia Ouziel; Daniel Rubenstein; Jerrold Rubenstein (Performer)
- Barber, Walton: Violin Concertos; Bloch: Baal Shem by Samuel Barber; Ernest Bloch; William Walton (Composer), Baltimore Symphony Orchestra; Joshua Bell (Performer)
- Mozart: Serenade in D major/Piano Concerto No.14/Adagio and Fugue/Violin Concerto No.5 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), Carlo Morini; Busch Chamber Players; Rudolf Serkin; Karl Doktor; Adolf Busch; Gosta Andreasson (Performer)
- Joseph Haydn: Complete Piano Trios, Vol. 5 by Franz Joseph Haydn (Composer), Trio 1790 (Performer)
- Mozart, Brahms: Clarinet Quintets by Johannes Brahms; Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), London Haydn String Quartet; Eric Hoeprich (Performer)
- Arriaga: String Quartets by Juan Crisostomo Arriaga (Composer)
- Telemann: The Six Paris Quartets by Georg Philipp Telemann (Composer), Sonnerie (Performer)
- Handel: Trio Sonatas for Oboe and Violin by George Frederick Handel (Composer), Convivium Musicum (Performer)
- Beethoven: The String Quartets, Vol. 2 by Ludwig van Beethoven (Composer), The Lindsays (Performer)
- Child's Play by Peter Child (Composer), Boston Musica Viva (Performer)
- Gioconda De Vito: The Chamber Repertoire by Ludwig van Beethoven; Cesar Franck; George Frederick Handel; Henry Purcell; Louis Spohr; Giovanni Battista Viotti (Composer), John Shinbourne; Raymond Leppard; Tito Aprea; (Performer)
- Piazzolla: Five Tango Sensations by Astor Piazzolla (Composer), Joan Jeanrenaud; Kronos Quartet; Hank Dutt; David Harrington; John Sherba (Performer)
This "EP" (about 27:00) contains just one work and sells for a reduced price. Astor Piazzolla wrote this music for himself to play with the Kronos Quartet. People who don't know Piazzolla's music might think this is just a collection of dances. But Piazzolla did for the tango what Chopin did for the polonaise, writing music of substance and passion that rewards repeated listening. I wish Nonesuch would reissue this disc combined with the its CD...
- Scelsi: The Complete Works For Clarinet
Giacinto Scelsi was both reclusive and inexact in the way that he dated and named his compositions. This rendition of Tre Pezzi (a broad title Scelsi used numerous times for different pieces) focuses on narrow ranges in the B-flat clarinet, demonstrating the thin margin of tonal range between the phrases that come sometimes fast, sometimes slow. Kho Lho, on the other hand, pairs a clarinet and flute duet so closely that the instruments' tones...
- Tchaikowsky: Serenade for Strings/Souvenir de Florence by Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky (Composer), Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra (Performer)
- Boccherini: String Quintets, Vol. 5 by Luigi Boccherini (Composer), Magnifica Comunit (Performer)
- Beethoven: The Piano Sonatas Vol. VI by Ludwig van Beethoven (Composer), Andras Schiff (Performer)
Andrs Schiff s Beethoven cycle, recorded live in chronological order at Tonhalle Zurich, continues to collect critical praise as it moves forward to thelater middle period. Volume VI, including sonatas from the periodbetween 1804 and 1810, offers some of the most famous and widely-known works together with an astonishing variety of forms and concepts, aconstellation which, once again, highlights the attractiveness of Schiff s chronological...
- Favourite Music for Wind Quintet by Malcolm Arnold; Ferenc Farkas; Jacques Ibert; Carl Nielsen (Composer)
- Percy Grainger: Famous Folk-Settings by Percy Grainger (Composer), Moray Welsh; Adolf Schmid; Bournemouth Sinfonietta; Philip Martin (Performer)
- Haydn: String Quartets Op. 71 & Op. 74 by Franz Joseph Haydn (Composer)
- Dvork: Piano Trios Nos. 1-4 by Antonin Dvorak (Composer), Borodin Trio (Performer)
- Schubert: String Quartets (Complete), Vol. 3 by Franz Schubert (Composer), Gyorgy Eder; Gabor Fias; Attila Falvay; Tamas Szabo (Performer)
Few music lovers know Schubert's earlier string quartets, which were written for family use when he was in his teens. Even the latest of these works, the Quartet No. 9, dates only from Schubert's 18th year. That piece, by far the best music included here, has some real Schubertian qualities; the others are talented imitations of Mozart and Haydn.
The Kodly Quartet plays all of this music with vigor and comprehension, and the performances are...
- Maria T by Alexander Balanescu; Alexander / Obermaier, Klaus Balanescu (Composer), Balanescu Quartet; Steve Arguelles; Alexander Balanescu; Maria Tanase (Performer)
- Mozart: "Kegelstatt" Trio, K. 498; Clarinet Quartets, K. 317d & K. 496 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), Ilona Ribli; Bela Kovacs; Jozsef Balogh (Performer)
- Mozart: Symphonies 33 & 39; Eine kleine Nachtmusik by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (Performer)
- Debussy: Suite bergamasque for piano No1-4; Children's Corner L. 113 by Andre Caplet; Claude Debussy (Composer), Andr Caplet; Rheinland-Pfalz Philharmonic; Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz (Performer)
- Mendelssohn: Chamber Music by Felix Mendelssohn (Composer), Elisso Wirssaladze; Oleg Kagan (Performer)
- Beethoven: Piano Trios Nos. 1 & 2 by Ludwig van Beethoven (Composer), Xyrion Trio (Performer)
- Beethoven: Violin Concerto; Bach Partita No. 3, Sonata No. 3 by Johann Sebastian Bach; Ludwig van Beethoven; Recorded Sound (Composer), NDR Orchestra; North German Radio Symphony Orchestra (Hannover); Nigel Kennedy (Performer)
- Bach: Sonatas & Partitias by Johann Sebastian Bach (Composer), Egida Giordani Sartori; Arthur Grumiaux (Performer)
- Glinka: Septet; Serenade; Grand Sextet by Mikhail Glinka (Composer), Alexander Perogov; Erik Pozdeev; Nikolai Gorbunov; Rustem Gabdullin; Natalia Tsekhovskaya; Igor Makarow; Alexander Koreshkov; Leonid Ogrintchouk; Mikhail Pletnev (Performer)